Examples:© Copyright Bobbing Wide 2010, 2011 © Copyright 2010, 2011 Bobbing Wide. All rights reserved This post lists a couple of the options for changing a WordPress site.
Decide what this year’s statement should beFor a new site, created in 2011 you only need one year. For a site created in a previous year then you have choices; a range of years (2009 – 2011) or a list of years ( 2009, 2010, 2011) It’s up to you. Ditto for the rest of the wording, so long as you include the obvious:
- the Copyright symbol ( © )
- the word itself; Copyright or the abbreviation Copr.
- your name or your company name
- the years (as above)
- optionally, All rights reserved
Login as an AdministratorAssuming your copyright statement has not updated itself automatically… then you will need to login to your WordPress site as an Administrator in order to make the relevant changes. See “How to login as an administrator” (to be written).
Backup your siteEven something as trivial as changing the Copyright years is fraught with danger. So don’t forget to backup your site before doing anything else. See “How to backup your WordPress site”.
Change all relevant instancesYour copyright statement should be changed in all relevant places. Follow the steps itemised below and with luck you’ll find them.
Change the Footer text
- Choose Appearance then Footer
- Change the Footer HTML: field, if necessary
- Click on Save changes
Change Text Widgets
- Choose Appearance then Widgets to show the different areas that support widgets.
- Look at each widget that you think contains the current copyright text.
- When found change the text and Save.
Change the ThemeIf you have not found anything to change so far then there’s a good change the text is built into the theme. At this point you may prefer to contact your friendly web designer, web developer to help you. If you want to go it alone, proceed with caution.
- Choose Appearance then Editor.
- For each theme that you or other users use.
- Work through each of the template files, searching for the existing Copyright text.
- If found, change the text then click Update file.