BackgroundIn September 2016, Pippin Williamson wrote a comprehensive review of 13 Page builder plugins. Prompted by a tweet from Keith Devon, and a reply from Kimb Jones I re-read Pippin’s review. Realising that I had my own requirements for a Page builder and that it would take a long time to perform my own review I have decided to:
- Attempt to summarise the review.
- Itemise my requirements for a Page builder plugin.
- Have a look at one or two of the plugins myself.
- And perhaps make a few comments of my own.
Summary of 13 Page builder pluginsThis is my summary gleaned from reading WordPress Page builder plugins: a critical review.
|Requirement||Tailor||Page-Builder-Sandwich||Elementor||Pootle||Live Composer||SiteOrigin||Beaver||Visual Composer||Fusion||Divi||Thrive||Brix||Conductor|
|Easy to use|
|open / close shortcode compatible?|
|shortcode styles and scripts?||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Compatible with ‘the_content’?||?||?||?||?|
|All content retained after deactivation||?||?||?|
|Lock-in effect (e.g. shortcodes)||?||?||?|
|Features? Content & Layout||some||?||?||?||?||?|
|Pippin would use?||?|
6 free Page builder plugins from WordPress.org
|Plugin name and description||Plugin links||Version, total downloads, last update, tested|
|Tailor Page Builder|
Build beautiful layouts for your content faster and easier than ever before using your favourite…
November 24, 2017
|Page Builder Sandwich – Front-End Page Builder|
Page Builder Sandwich is the friendliest drag and drop landing page builder for front-end editing.
September 19, 2020
|Elementor Website Builder|
The Elementor Website Builder has it all: drag and drop page builder, pixel perfect design,…
October 20, 2020
|Pootle Pagebuilder – WordPress Page builder|
Pootle Pagebuilder is a front-end, drag and drop page builder that makes it easy to…
August 17, 2020
|Page Builder: Live Composer|
Page builder for WordPress with drag and drop header/footer editing, responsive settings, and animations. Compatible…
August 14, 2020
|Page Builder by SiteOrigin|
Build responsive page layouts using the widgets you know and love using this simple drag and drop page builder.
September 30, 2020
- WordPress Page builder plugins: a critical review
- The 20 best drag and drop page builder WordPress plugins
ConclusionsI haven’t made any conclusions yet. I’m still considering my requirements… I’ve started drafting another post. I’ll finish with some questions for you to think about.
- What requirements do you have for a Page builder?
- Do you already have a site/theme built with a Page builder and you want to change to a different one?
- Is there a lot of content that’s dependent on the Page builder?
- How would you go about migrating?
- What will you do if your current Page builder stopped working?