Select both shapes using the “Selection Tool”. With both shapes selected, go to the “Pathfinder Tool” (displayed below in red). Select the “Minus Front” selection (displayed below in green). Your bottom shape should now have a cutout of the top shape.
How do you cut a shape in a pathfinder in illustrator?
Trim objects using Pathfinder effects
- Select the objects you want to trim using the Selection ( ) tool.
- Choose Window > Pathfinder.
- Choose a Shape Mode and Pathfinder effects using the Pathfinder panel. For more information, see Pathfinder effects.
Where is the pathfinder tool in Illustrator?
You use the Pathfinder panel (Window > Pathfinder) to combine objects into new shapes. Use the top row of buttons in the panel to make paths or compound paths. To make compound shapes, use the buttons in those rows while pressing the Alt or Option key.
How do I cut a shape out of a picture?
Crop to a specific shape
- In your file, select the picture that you want to crop to a specific shape.
- Click the Format Picture tab. …
- Under Adjust, click the arrow next to Crop, point to Mask to Shape, point to a type of shape, and then click the shape that you want to crop the picture to.
Where is the knife tool in Illustrator?
You can find the Knife tool under the Eraser Tool. There isn’t a keyboard shortcut for the Knife tool. Draw through the shape to cut. You can make a freehand cut or straight cut.
How do I open Pathfinder?
Go to Window > Pathfinder in either program to open the window if it isn’t kept in your default workspace by default.
How do I open Pathfinder in Illustrator?
The Pathfinder panel can be found by going to Window > Pathfinder or hitting Shift + Ctrl (Command) + F9. In order to use the pathfinder functions, you need to select two shapes that are overlapping.
What is exclude in Pathfinder?
Exclude. The Exclude shape mode eliminates the overlapping area and leaves behind the remaining polygons to create a complex shape.