What is a knockout in Photoshop?
A knockout effect allows you to place a solid layer of color over a photo or image, and then punch out some of that solid layer to reveal the image behind it. You can do this with text or shapes both in Photoshop and Illustrator, but the process is slightly different for each program.
How do you mask text?
5 Easy Steps To Using Clipping Mask With Text In Adobe Photoshop
- In Photoshop, under FILE > OPEN the photo that you want to use to appear through the letters. …
- Duplicate the photo. …
- Using the type tool, add the text you want and place it on top of the photo. …
- Place the background photo in the foreground.
How do you make a text clipping mask?
How to Make a Clipping Mask
- Drop down Menu: Object > Clipping Mask > Make.
- Shortcut Key: Command > 7.
- Layer Panel: Make/Release Clipping Mask icon at the bottom.
- Right click: highlight all objects and select Make Clipping Mask.
How do you punch something out in Photoshop?
Choose an option from the Knockout pop‑up menu:
- Select Shallow to knock out to the first possible stopping point, such as the first layer after the layer group or the base layer of the clipping mask.
- Select Deep to knock out to the background. If there is no background, Deep knocks out to transparency.
What is knockout text?
When white text is set on a black background, the text is ‘knocked out’ and the paper shines through, hence the term ‘knockout text’. … The term is also used for text with a light color on a darker colored background. Reversed type is often used to emphasize text.
How do you mask on Photoshop?
Add layer masks
- Make sure that no part of your image is selected. Choose Select > Deselect.
- In the Layers panel, select the layer or group.
- Do one of the following: To create a mask that reveals the entire layer, click the Add Layer Mask button in the Layers panel, or choose Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All.
What is Photoshop clipping mask?
A clipping mask is a group of layers to which a mask is applied. The bottommost layer, or base layer, defines the visible boundaries of the entire group. … The shape in the bottom layer of the clipping mask determines what area of the photo layer above shows through.
How do you make a text mask in flash?
Double-click the icon in front of the text layer name, or select the text layer and choose Modify > Timeline > Layer Properties. The Layer Properties dialog box appears. Select Mask and click OK.